I resisted making this post for some time, for it reveals the petty and authoritarian side of my nature. I travel by train a lot. Although Mussolini didn't actually make the trains run on time, these are the things he should have done:
- When waiting for a train, spread out evenly along the platform. I always see everyone trying to board the train through the same door, forming a massive queue. If all the entrances to the train were used evenly, the train could actually leave on time.
- Wait for people to get off before getting on.
- While you're waiting for people to get off, queue parallel to the train and for heaven's sake leave a generous gap to let people get off.
- When you get on the train, walk along to the middle of the carriage AND DON'T DAWDLE then find a seat. If there isn't a seat, then stand as near to the middle of the carriage as you can.
- Above all, don't loiter in the vestibule.